Thursday, March 29, 2007

Following my bliss. What does it mean?

Hello,

Welcome to my new blog. It's nice to have a space to put down my thoughts about life.


I call this blog "Following My Bliss" because that is what I would like to think I'm doing in my life. A few years ago I was watching an episode of Dharma and Greg where Dharma was telling Greg to follow his bliss. He wasn't happy being a lawyer so he quit his job and went on a quest to find true happiness. He became a fry cook in a diner for instance. He wasn't happy there. He went on to various other jobs and finally after a long journey through many temp jobs he realized he did love being a lawyer. It was in front of him the entire time. But he couldn't realize he was happy until he left it and then ultimately came back to it later on.

I wanted to know where that quote came from. I traced it to Joseph Campbell. It is important to note that following one's bliss, as Campbell saw it, isn't merely a matter of doing whatever you like, and certainly not doing simply as you are told. It is a matter of identifying that pursuit which you are truly passionate about and attempting to give yourself absolutely to it. In so doing, you will find your fullest potential and serve your community to the greatest possible extent.

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: If you follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. Wherever you are -- if you are following your bliss, you are enjoying that refreshment, that life within you, all the time.



That quote has stuck with me to this day. It was quite a profound moment for me really. So now I tell everyone to "Follow Your Bliss". I even have a magnet on my fridge that I had custom made to say that.


To sum up my first true post on my blog I will leave you with a video that I think you will enjoy. Joseph Campbell talks about following your bliss. If you really know what you want...go after it. Don't ever stray from your blissful path.





Have a wonderful day. Now go follow your bliss!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Following My Bliss 2007. All Rights Reserved.